Monday, November 29, 2010

November 29 - Revisiting the Rules

When you become a parent, it puts a different perspective on, well, everything, including your own childhood.
Looking back on some of the things my parents didn't allow me to do, the restrictions they put on me, and the strict, seemingly arbitrary rules they imposed: at the time I thought they were excessive. But now that I'm a dad, they make a lot more sense.
For instance:
Don't run with scissors.
Homework: Do it. Turn off the TV and do it.
Be nice to your sister.
Stop bringing animals home.
Don't smoke.
Wear your underwear on the inside of your clothes.
Seriously, don't smoke.
OK, if you really have to smoke, stick with the low-tar ones. But don't inhale. And not in bed.
No motorcycles.
And no hanging out in biker bars either.
Leave mom's cigarettes alone.
Hold the nail gun with both hands. And don't let me catch you using it in the dining room again!
I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Point is, all that crap I used to say when I was a kid about how someday when I have kids, I'm gonna let them do whatever they want? Once you get your own kid you realize how ridiculous that was.
But at least I can try to set the karmic scales in my and my wife's favor by telling my folks that I now completely understand why all that crap was off the table. They were right, I was wrong.
And also any tips they have for helping us get our daughter to see things that way would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment