Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21 - When I Think About You

So I was just in my car and you know what song came on?
I Touch Myself.
Remember that one? You know you do. Big hit about 20 years ago? Has it really been 20 years? Wow, man. Time flies.
Anyway, hearing it again after all those years reminded me of this (kind of awesome) thing that happened to me back in college: The phone rang, I picked it up and said hello, and instead of saying hi, the person on the other end played a snippet from that song: I want you. I don't want nobody else. When I think about you, I touch myself. Ooh. Ooh. Aah, etc.
(You remember that part of the song, right? It's toward the end after the solo. She's not really singing it, she's more speaking it in this really breathy, sultry, come hither Penthouse Forum voice.)
Anyway, after that they hung up.
This was before caller ID, back when the phone rang, you picked it up, and then you found out who was calling, only in this case I never did. Like I said, they didn't say anything. It must have been before star 69 too because I didn't do that either.
So I hung up too and then the next few days--oh, who am I kidding, weeks--became a sort of one man parlor game trying to figure out who it was that had sent me that message. It was equal parts awesome and maddening to think about: Some chick was out there touching herself? To me?
Wow.
Just . . . wow.
And so everybody became a suspect.
Maybe it was Rachel from down the street. She always presented herself as really sweet, but you could tell there was more going on under the surface.
Maybe it was the other Rachel, the one I always ended up talking to at Champions on Thursdays. I'd gotten vibes from her before. I definitely wouldn't rule her out.
Maybe it was that (sexily) bookish girl from my bio lab.
Maybe it was somebody from high school.
Christ, who knows? It could have been anybody.
The thing is I never did find out. And whoever it was never called back. Just one call and that was it. No other clues. No one giving me any kind of look when that song came on. Nothing.
When you think about it, it's weird how nobody ever came clean about it.
It's also weird how I don't remember anyone else's theories about it.
Did I even tell my friends about it? That doesn't seem like the kind of thing I would have kept to myself. And yet, I really have no memory about talking about it with any of them, which--who am I kidding--I totally would have. I mean, right?
And yet the more I think about it, the more sure I am that I didn't.
Why wouldn't I have shared that with anybody?
That's messed up.
Huh.
Weird.
Actually, you know what? I may have remembered that whole episode all wrong. This is more than a little bit embarrassing, but the more I think of it, the more convinced I am that I was the one who sent the message.
To a few people.
Maybe more than a few.
Huh.
I was the one claiming to touch myself.
Wow, that's kind of embarrassing.
Yeah . . . he he.
Anyway, how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment