Monday, October 11, 2010

October 11 - Orientation to the Afterlife

So what happens here? You told me before, but tell me again.
You basically get a complete validation of your most heartfelt belief. The one thing you truly believed in the most in the world, even if everybody else thought you were wrong? In this place, you find out that you were right all along.
And it's like that for everybody who comes here?
Yeah.
And everybody comes here.
Yeah.
But how is that possible? Shouldn't some people's beliefs contradict each other at some point?
Yeah, they do. But for recent arrivals, it can be a stressful time and we need to put their souls at ease. Knowing you were right--especially about something you really care about--is the best way we've found to bring that about. Anyway, after they've had a chance to wrap their heads around that we move to Stage 2.
What happens then?
That's the lengthy part of the process. Group therapy, I guess you could call it. In it we help small groups of newcomers with conflicting, mutually exclusive beliefs see that different truths, different realities can coexist.
Not sure I get it.
You probably don't.
Like everybody's right, even though . . . I don't know how to finish my sentence.
I know how you feel. I was there once, too.
So then, like, what is this place anyway? Heaven? Paradise? Nirvana?
All of the above. And then some.
Oh. Ok.
It's a big place.
I guess so.
Not what you expected?
Not really. But at the same time, yes. Like, I actually kind of pictured it as a waiting room like this.
A lot of people do. Those people start out here.
Where do the other people go?
To the place that's like they imagined the beginning of the Afterlife would be like.
For example?
A lot of people start out near waterfalls. Some people start out in the woods. A lot of literalists opt for the pearly gates. One of my recent favorites was a biker bar in the middle of the desert.
And I started out in a waiting room. Even in the Afterlife, I'm an unimaginative loser.
Ha ha. Don't be hard on yourself. True, a waiting room as the entrance to the Afterlife isn't all that unusual of an image, but it is quirky. Gotta give yourself that.
I guess so.
Anyway, this is only the beginning. There's a lot more after this.
Like what?
A lot. But we'll have plenty of time to get into that later. For now, we need to get you fitted for your wings.
Seriously?
No.
Funny.
Sorry. I couldn't resist. Anyway, come on. There are lots of people who've been looking forward to seeing you again. I'll start filling you in on the details on the way.

1 comment: