Monday, July 19, 2010

July 19 - Just the Other Day

My mom and I were walking down this empty street the other day a little after sunset. It was just getting dark and there wasn't anybody else around, but suddenly we became aware of a car creeping a few feet behind us. It wasn't really doing anything, it was just following us.
We kept waiting for it to pass, but it just hovered there behind us going about five miles an hour, just fast enough to stay a few feet behind us. My mom and I looked at each other, but didn't say anything. We just walked a little bit faster.
There was a gas station a few blocks ahead of us, and even though our car was a few blocks beyond that, we reached a kind of unspoken agreement that we would go there and wait until the car behind us went away.
As we closed the distance to the gas station, the only sound was from the car's engine behind us and my mom's heels clicking loudly on the sidewalk still wet from that afternoon's rain.
We passed some parked cars and picked up our pace a bit more, but so did the car, and we could feel the driver's eyes on our backs.
I was about to turn around and say something, but my mom grabbed my arm and said, "Just keep walking." So I did, and both of us forced ourselves not to break into a run. The gas station was getting closer, but it was still more than two blocks away.
We felt the car speed up a bit to move alongside us.
My mom and I braced ourselves.
Here it comes.
The car pulled up even with us, and the driver leaned across the front seat and yelled, "Fuck her, I did!" before laughing and speeding off.
My heart was pounding as the car disappeared around the corner with a squeal of its tires. When it was completely quiet again, my mom turned to me and said, "I swear, your father is such an asshole."

No comments:

Post a Comment