Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 30 - Sup

I was walking through Hibiya Station after pick-up last night and a black guy gave me the 'sup' nod. You know the one I'm talking about, right? The one where you nod your head backwards once like, sup (what's up - sup).
Whatever. A black guy thought I was cool! I think it was probably because of the way I was dressed. I was coming from pick-up, soI was wearing an oversized hooded sweatshirt and baggy jeans, plus I had my bag strap across my chest and over my shoulder and I was listening to my iPod. He was listening to his iPod too, and maybe that's another reason why he threw me the sup.
I wonder what he was listening to. I had on some Fishbone, which wouldn't have been my first choice if he'd stopped to ask me what I was listening to. But still, if he'd had a chance to scroll through my iPod I don't think he would've taken back his sup. My iPod has a pretty good mix of stuff I think he would like, and rap is well represented. Sure, most of it is old skool Run DMC and stuff like that from when I was growing up, but I also have new stuff like Mos Def and Blackalicious.
Of course I also have a lot of opera. Maybe even more opera than rap. God, how bad would that have sucked for him to scroll through my iPod and there's barely any rap and like tons of opera? I would probably blush and feel stupid and apologize, but I'll bet he'd be pretty cool about it. He might even like opera too. Maybe he would say something like, "Nah, man. That's cool. Some of that opera shit deep." And then maybe we would do one of those fist punch things like they always do in the movies.
God I wish I had more black friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment