Saturday, January 9, 2010

January 14 - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

I may not be the only person you know who was conceived the night his parents met, but I'll bet I'm the only person you know who has a recording from that night.
It's not what you're thinking, or at least it's not what I'll bet you're thinking. My parents met at a Stones show at the Garden on November 27, 1969, and a recording of the concert was released as an album: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. If you've heard that album, you've heard my parents. And I don't mean that in some sort of bullshit way like, my parents were in the audience so if you can hear the audience you can hear my parents, or some other such fuckity fuck. No. Like, you can totally hear them, like, their distinct voices.
Side one: Right before Sympathy, you can hear this woman requesting Paint it Black and she sounds all bored and ho-hum like she's been saying paint it black all day but nobody will pay any attention to her, and, like, it's my mom. That's her requesting Paint it Black. And then a couple seconds later, she says. "Paint it black, you devil," and it's fucking classic because why the fuck is she calling Mick a devil. She insists that she doesn't remember why she was calling him a devil, but still.
Anyway, later on in the album they play Midnight Rambler and about halfway through they slow the song way down, and Mick's like, "Well, you heard about the Boston--" and then Keith, like, nails this big "BOMP!" on his guitar and then you can hear this guy in the background yell out, "Goddamn!"
That's my dad.
You kind of have to turn it way up, but you can totally hear him.
Anyway, long story short: My dad was a roadie during that tour and my mom had scored a backstage pass hoping to get with Mick. But he didn't fancy her, though. My parents always use that word, fancy, when they tell anyone the story because that's the word Mick used. Anyway, my dad was leading my mom out of the dressing room area and he was all You can get yer ya-ya's out with me if you want. And somehow my mom went for it. Hey, it was the '60s, or at least that's always what my parents always tell me.
The really gross part is that the whole time I was growing up they kept on using "get yer ya-ya's out" as their little code word for doing it. They would always bust it out in front of me and my friends when I was growing up. They'd be all, hey babe, what do you say we leave these guys to their movie and go get our ya-ya's out. Totally used to gross me out back then, but now I'm like, whatever.
But even to this day, it's kinda weird knowing that after the show the Goddamn guy and the Paint it black, you devil woman got together and did it and then nine months later I came along and spent the rest of my life calling them mom and dad.
My dad insists that his little come on line was where the album title comes from. I don't know if that's true or not, but I gotta admit there are definitely worse Stones albums to have been recorded on the night you were conceived. I mean, can you imagine being conceived the night they finished up that one shitty album with Harlem Shuffle on it? That would totally suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment