Monday, January 18, 2010

January 21 - The Miniature Dachshund

I was standing at the crosswalk waiting for the light to change when I became aware of a miniature dachshund staring at me with a blank expression that was somewhere between poker face and curiosity, like he was interested in me but didn't want to let on that he was interested in me. I looked back and gave him a smile. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Maybe a tail wag or a yap or a doggie grin or something, but no. Nothing. He just kept staring at me with his tiny face and his tiny eyes. He was really cute, but he was so serious, almost judgemental if you want the truth.
The dog's owner started looking at him too to see what he was up to, and after a few more seconds I guess the awkwardness must have gotten to the dog because he looked away.
I cracked up a little bit and then looked at the owner, expecting to share the moment with him, but he ignored me and returned to looking straight ahead too.
Whatever. I shrugged it off.
The wait for the light to change continued and a few seconds later I could feel the dog looking at me again with the same expression. I looked back at him and smiled again and waved, but just like before, he didn't respond in any way. He just stared, standing there patiently with his little doggy sweater and his face full of seriousness. The whole time it really felt like the dog was on the verge of saying something or asking a question or accusing me of stealing his dog biscuits, but instead he just stared.
The dog's owner looked down at him again, but the dog didn't return the look. Instead, he continued to look at me for a few seconds longer before breaking off and looking straight ahead again.
I laughed a bit out loud and looked at the owner again, figuring this time he had to acknowledge the silliness of the situation, but he didn't. He just went back to looking across the street until we got the walk signal. Then we crossed the street and went our separate ways.
Christ, it was like he'd never seen a guy in drag before.

No comments:

Post a Comment