Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1 - Commiseration

So anyway, we're talking about our situations on the home front: New baby, everything's crazy, no sleep, all that.
OK.
And I'm saying how my wife and I barely ever have any time together, you know, where it's just the two of us? Which I expected. I mean, it's not like I didn't think it was going to be busy. I was just thinking maybe every once in a while we'd have, like, I don't know, a few minutes here or there where we could talk about something besides the baby and food and sleep and what we have to do and what not. Just, you know, like, talk about regular stuff.
Hmm.
And he's commiserating with me. Yeah, I hear you, etc. And I'm like, it's always about the baby, and I feel guilty even saying that because of course it's about the baby. I get that. I knew it was gonna be that way, but still.
OK.
And then I'm like every time me and my wife are about to have, like, an actual moment together, the baby cries. Like, she just knows somehow, like she's got this refined sense of intimate-dar or something. Anyway, of course she always gets up to check on her, and, you know, I do, too, but she always does first. And I'm like, she's always there for her.
OK.
Which, again, of course. But you know, like, what about me? Who's there for me?
Yeah.
Like, you know what I mean?
I guess.
No, I'm in my story. Like, I'm asking him if he knows what I mean, not you.
Oh.
And he's like, yeah. And then I'm like, you ever feel that way? You know, like, wondering who's there for you?
OK?
And he's like, yeah. And then I laugh, and I'm like, yeah. And then there's this weird pause and . . .
(Shrugs)
God, this is so embarrassing.
(Shrugs)
And so then I'm like, maybe we could be there for each other.
Oh . . . OK?
You know, like a support network, commiseration, grab a beer sometime?
No, I know. That's . . . cool. I guess.
Right? But then there's this awkward silence and suddenly he pretends he's got a phone call and he gets up and runs out of the room.
Hmm.
Yeah. Hmm.
(Shrugs)
Anyway, I felt really weird. Like, I don't know what's up. Did he think I was hitting on him or . . . I don't even know what.
He say anything when he came back?
"Gotta run. Wife."
OK. So. He had to get home to his wife.
Yeah, maybe.
(shrugs)
What do you think?
Well, to be honest, I think maybe you shouldn't open up so much with random strangers you strike up conversations with in airport bars.
No, I met this guy at an Applebee's.
I know. I was talking about me.
Oh. Right.
. . .
Hey, you want another one? My round.
Uh . . . Hold on, I'm getting a phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment