Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 7 - Beyond the Rocks

Tiny waves gently slapped the beach and ran up and down my feet, mixing sand around my toes in swirls of clear water. A couple of gulls tucked themselves into the wind so they stayed suspended in the same place. I rested back on my elbows and squinted over at the outcropping of rocks that jutted out from the cliff and into the sea. When I was a kid I'd played around on them a few times, but never went far enough to see what was on the other side.
One time I'd tried to swim around them, but I got freaked out and turned back when the water got too deep to touch the bottom. I think that was in high school.
I looked again. Someone was climbing over them.
It took the person a few minutes to get over the rocks and then a few more to close the distance between us.
When he got close enough to hear me I said what's up and he said not much.
Then I asked him what was on the other side of the rocks, and he shrugged and said more rocks and continued on his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment