Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June 9 - Not a Hero

Listen.
It was a hectic morning. Lots going on. Careers at stake. Crisis mode. We had the Martinson briefing, the Fielding deposition, and God only knows what else. Go time. Shot clock winding down. The printer was jammed, and print jobs were backing up.
Somebody had to step up.
Somebody had to unjam the printer. Otherwise, everything was screwed.
Fortunately for you guys, that's where I thrive.
Game on the line. Down by a point. Seconds remaining. Somebody had to take the shot. Somebody had to bring this ship in from the storm.
But all this talk about saving the day? Hero? The savior of Livingstone and Associates? Honestly, I think you're being a wee bit dramatic, don't you?
I mean, imagine it's the same situation and I don't step up. What's the worst that happens? We show up late. Unprepared. Flustered. We look unprofessional. Embarrass ourselves. Maybe lose a couple mil in revenues. But life goes on, right?
Right.
But thank God it didn't come to that. Thank God I was there. Thank God I knew what needed to be done. And most of all, thank God I maintained my focus at the moment of truth, stepped in, and unjammed that printer.
Because of me, everything turned out just fine.
Thank God.
But does that really make me a hero? I don't know, man. Don't ask me. That's for history to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment