Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16 - A Few Words From a Foreigner Who is Reading the Japanese Edition of Haruki Murakami's Latest Novel in a Public Place So Everyone Can See Him

Hey everybody, look at me. I'm a non-Japanese person reading Murakami Haruki's latest novel, 1Q84, Volume 3. In Japanese. It's amazing.
And so am I.
Have you read it yet? No? Oh, you just must. I'll let you have it as soon as I'm finished, which will be very soon because I'm absolutely flying through it.
Oh, sorry. Your Japanese isn't good enough to read novels? Oh, that's too bad because this has got me riveted--just like the first two volumes, which I inhaled. God, I couldn't wait for Volume 3 to come out.
But don't worry. I'm sure it will be translated into English soon enough, and by the way, yes, English is my first language, too, but I knew I would lose my mind if I waited for the translation. Besides, have you ever actually read any of the English translations of Murakami's work? Please. They're abominations! I see other foreigners reading them all the time and it's just pathetic how hard they're trying--and failing!--to impress Japanese people by reading a translation of Norwegian Wood or Kafka on the Shore. For me, when it comes to Murakami it's either Japanese or nothing at all.
Sorry, I shouldn't be such a snob. I mean, I guess the translations are OK if you've never read the original versions and you just want to get the basic story. But if you really want to get Murakami, there's just no substitute for reading him in the original Japanese. Ask anyone--assuming your Japanese is good enough.
By the way, I don't just read novels. I also read the Yomiuri Shimbun every day. In Japanese, of course. You'll notice I didn't call it the Daily Yomiuri. That's because that's the name of the English language version, which I don't read. No. I read the Yomiuri Shimbun--in Japanese--because I'm so acculturated. It's a really incisive newspaper. So much better than the Daily Yomiuri, which, again, I don't read.
I also attend kabuki theater quite often. If you're ever interested in checking it out, do let me know. I'd be more than happy to explain what's happening for you. The translations there leave a lot out, but the productions are spectacular. We should go sometime! The same goes for noh, manzai, God, you name it. I mean, I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd be delighted to share what I know about the Japanese arts with you.
Anyway, back to my novel, which, again, is Murakami Haruki's latest, 1Q84, Volume 3. Which I'm reading in Japanese.
I'm an amazing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment