Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 9 - (Not Necessarily Autobiographical) Thoughts on Mother's Day at Different Ages in a Son's Life

Every year for Mother's Day, his father asked him to make a list of things he loved about his mother.
This is what he wrote when he was five: I love my Momy because: She makes Chocklit Chip Cookys and blows on my nee if I fall off my bisikkel and tuks me in at niht.
When he was 11 years old, this is what he put on his list: I love my Mom because she always stops at 7-11 after soccer practice and buys us Gatorade. I also love my Mom because she helps me with my homework and lets me stay up later and watch PG-13 movies.
When he was 16: A really cool thing about my mom is that she doesn't make me clean my room anymore, or at least not that often. I also like that she lets me pick the music in the car, and she actually knows some of it, so, she's actually paying attention to it. She's also cool about letting me stay out late, as long as I call. I also like it that both she and my dad come to all my games. And they cheer and everything, but they're not embarrassing about it like some of the other parents are. I also like it that she makes me do my homework, and I know that sounds weird, but deep down inside I know I need to get good grades, even though I don't always act like it. And it's good that she nags me about it. There, I said it.
When he was 23: One thing I really appreciate about my mom is that she doesn't make me feel guilty about living far away and probably not calling as often as I should. And when I do call or email or visit, she's actually interested in what I'm up to, even though it's nothing glamorous. And this last one is totally going to sound dorky, but whatever: She makes me feel good about myself, even though most of my friends have been kicking the ass of this whole life thing a little harder than I have since college. I'm usually too cool to let on how much I appreciate it, but it's nice to have that encouragement.
When he was 35: Now that I'm a parent of my own, I'm starting to get a real appreciation for everything my mom did for me for, well, for all my life. I mean, I guess I'd always been kind of aware of those kinds of things, but now that I'm going through parenthood myself? Wow.
But what I like about her now--like, not in retrospect, but now--is the advice and insight she gives me when I ask for it--and that she doesn't give to me when I don't. I like that she's known me all my life and remembers stuff about me. Sometimes her memory is a little selective and revisionist, but I don't mind, because it's good to hear nice things about myself every once in a while. Mostly, though, I like how she's a constant. The world's always changing, and people are always coming and going, and I might live here this year and someplace else next year, but no matter what else happens, I know she's my mom. And I like that.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think much of that is autobiographical, but I sure am going to pretend that it is totally autobiographical. What a great Mother's Day gift.JH

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to say that you loved your mother because she made you macaroni and cheese. (from a box!)JH

    ReplyDelete