Monday, February 8, 2010

February 8 - God, Suzanne

God, Suzanne. Just talk to him.
I don't know.
What don't you know?
I don't know what I don't know.
That makes sense.
It does, actually.
Yeah, this coming from the only chick in here who has an inner dialogue instead of an inner monologue.
Well, yeah. It'd get boring and one-sided if I didn't.
Very true.
I thought you might agree.
Ha ha. But anyway . . .
Yeah. Anyway.
So just, like, start a conversation with him. How hard can it be?
No, you're right. I totally agree. I should totally just start a conversation with him.
Good. So? Do it then.
I don't know what to say
How about you just introduce yourself and take it from there?
He knows who I am. I'm in here, like, every week. Sometimes more than once. Usually. Always. Jesus, he probably thinks I'm an alcoholic or something.
I'm sure he doesn't think that. Do you, like, ever get drunk?
No, but . . .
But nothing then. So you have a couple of drinks here every once in a while. Big deal. Besides, he's the one that works in a bar. Plus, it's not like you're in here by yourself. Karen and Michelle are usually with you, so whatever.
True.
OK, then.
Maybe I could bum a cigarette from him.
Yeah, I'm sure he'd love that.
Well, God, I don't know. Do you have any better ideas?
Like I said, you should just introduce yourself. Just be like, Hi, I'm Suzanne. You're Luke, right?
Yeah, because it wouldn't be creepy and awkward at all to introduce myself and already know the guy's name.
Actually, it wouldn't. You're a regular. There's no way he doesn't know who you are. Hell, you've even talked to him a couple of times. Remember that one time right when Adventureland had just come out and he and a few other people at the bar were talking about it, and he said it was funny, and you were like, I really want to see it?
Yeah.
Yeah. And then there was that time when everybody was talking about True Blood and he'd never seen it and you were like I can't believe you've never seen True Blood and he was like, It's a chick show, and you were like, Yeah, kind of, but still, you should watch it.
True.
So yeah, it's not like you're a total stranger. Just be like--
--Shut up, here he comes.
"Hey."
"Hey, how's it going?"
"Pretty good . . . Hey, I finally saw that movie."
"Hmm?"
"Uh, yeah. Adventureland? I remember we were all talking about it a while back. Here. And yeah, I remember you were saying it was pretty funny. And so, yeah, I saw it, like, a couple of days ago. You were right. It was funny. I don't know what made me think of that, but yeah. Good times. Good times."
"Yeah, Bill Hader cracked me up in that one."
"Yeah, totally. Right?"
"And the main guy--what's his name? I always get him mixed up with what's-his-butt, Arrested Development guy. George Michael."
"Oh, right. Michael Cera. Yeah, me too. Um yeah, I always space his name, but he was in Zombieland, too."
"Yeah, that's right."
"He's into those 'land' movies."
"Yeah, totally."
"Down with the land-based flicks."
"Yeah."
"By the way, my name's Suzanne."
"Yeah, I've seen you in here before. Nice to meet you. Luke."
"Nice to finally meet you. Like, officially. I mean, we've seen each other a bunch of times, but it's weird we've never actually met."
"Yeah, that's true. It's like that with regulars, though."
"Yeah, I'll bet."
"Yeah."
"Ha ha."
"Anyway, um. Vodka gimlet, right?"
"Yep."
"Cool. Be right back--Suzanne."
"I'll be here--Luke."
Not bad, Suzanne. Not bad at all.
I know, right? He even knew my drink!
Very true. And now you know each other's names.
Damn, right.
See, that wasn't so bad. You hadn't even started drinking yet.
Stone cold, baby.
Hell yeah, girl.
Hell yeah.
Yeah.
But um, Down with the land-based flicks? Not your shiningest moment.
Shut up.
Good times, good times?
Bite me.
Ha ha.

1 comment:

  1. "hell yeah, girl." that's so great. you know what's weird--i just started watching adventureland, and megavideo cut me off after 72 minutes. after that, i didn't know what to do, and i remembered i hadn't read your stories in a while. WEIRD. WILD. ADVENTURELANDY. what?! did you see the end of that adjectivization? WHAT?! okay, i'm delirious. good story, good story, as always. -lc

    ReplyDelete