Saturday, February 6, 2010

February 7 - 38 Special

If you're the kind of person who thinks there's nothing to coincidences, you might want to sit this one out. But if you have an open mind, dig this:
On a recent flight to Thailand I sat in seat 38H. No big deal, right?
Wrong.
I am 38 years old and my last name begins with the letter H.
A few days after my arrival, I took a night bus up north to Mae Sot and the bus left from platform 38.
I returned to Tokyo from Thailand on February 7, which is the 38th day of the year.
Upon arriving in Mae Sot I was booked into room 209 of the DK Hotel. Hmm. What is 2 x 9? 18. And what do you get when you drop the 9 from 209 and then add what's left over (20) to 18? That's right. 38.
Are you starting to get creeped out yet? If so, you might want to hold on to your hat because A-Hock is about to blow your mind.
One afternoon in Thailand I sat outside at a table that had a chessboard built into it and the sun was hitting it in a way that formed a perfect 45-45-90 triangle across with board with exactly 36 squares in the sunlight. I hear what you're saying: But that's 36, not 38.
How right you are.
But how many people do you need for a game of chess?
Just wait because it gets even weirder.
For my most recent birthday (my 38th, in case you forgot), I received a gift certificate for Baskin Robbins, which is an ice cream chain that boasts 31 flavors. My birthday was seven months ago.
You do the math.
Want more?
A standard American roulette wheel has 38 slots. Although I've never played roulette or even been to Vegas, I know people who have. More intriguingly, it's all but a certainty that at some point today, somebody won on #38.
What?
In Taiwan, where I used to live, people speak Mandarin Chinese and the numbers 3-8 are pronounced san-ba, which I think you'll agree sounds an awful lot like samba, which is a genre of music that hails from Brazil.
Know what else is from Brazil? The movie City of God.
And I really like that movie.
Starting to get the picture?
One thing I really enjoy doing is writing. This morning before I began writing I had some eggs. The English alphabet--my alphabet of choice when it comes to writing--has 26 letters. Eggs are generally sold in sets of 12.
I don't think you need a calculator to figure that one out.
My girlfriend has 10 fingers and 10 toes. I also have 10 fingers and 10 toes. If we both decided to cut one of them off in a digit reduction pact, we would have--that's right--38 digits between the two of us.
Are you seriously going to try to keep a straight face when you tell me that's just a coincidence?
Dude, please.
Please.
This is the 38th posting of my year in ultra-short fiction.
Yeah, that's a coincidence all right.
Coincidence your ass.

2 comments: