Friday, April 23, 2010

April 24 - The Punishment

I'll never forget the day my Taiwanese colleague Lin Kai Hung punished an 8th grade student who'd dropped an f-bomb in class by making him stand outside their classroom during lunch and repeat the offending word for 10 minutes straight.
The most hilarious part for me was that I had to go from one end of the school to the other to grab something and take it back to the English office, passing their classroom both ways. It was a great, NSFW demonstration of the Doppler effect:
. . .
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
FUCK
FUCK
FUCK
FUCK
FUCK
FUCK
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
fuck
. . .
And then the same thing on the way back. After the first few fucks, it didn't even sound like a bad word anymore, as much as it sounded like a really weird car alarm.
Was it an effective punishment? I seriously doubt it. In fairness, the kid did look a bit embarrassed. But he also looked proud and excited in the way that 13-year-old kids cursing in a foreign language in front of their friends for 10 minutes straight tend to look. By the time he was finished, I'm guessing that the word had lost any impact it might have once had with him and his classmates. Probably not his teacher's goal in doling out that punishment, but fuck me, it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment